From a personal injury lawyer standpoint, we uncover our picks for the best and worst car insurance companies that protect you and your property while driving on the roads in Indiana. Our clients frequently ask us this question. We want to provide insight that will better serve you in the event of an accident.
Why Do You Need a Good Insurance Company?
First, it’s important to understand why you need good insurance. Protection by good car insurance is critical for several reasons, including:
- Financial Protection: Car accidents can lead to significant financial costs, such as medical bills, vehicle repairs, and legal fees. A good insurance plan provides financial protection by ensuring that it not only covers the total amount of these expenses, reducing your out-of-pocket costs in the event of an accident, but also that they accept and pay the claim without a lot of hassle.
- Liability Coverage: If you are at fault in an accident, you could be held legally responsible for the injuries and damages suffered by the other party involved. Liability coverage in your car insurance policy helps cover these costs, protecting you from potentially devastating legal actions.
- Vehicle Repair or Replacement: Comprehensive and collision coverage can help pay for repairs to your vehicle if it’s damaged in an accident or due to other events like theft, vandalism, or natural disasters. It’s important to note that insurance will not pay for the replacement cost, but will compensate through the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of the crash. The value of the car can sometimes be an aggravating topic for some. But it’s important that they give you the best value and not undercut you.
- Medical Expenses: Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or Medical Payments coverage can help cover your medical expenses if you or your passengers are injured in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. This coverage is even important if you have health insurance because it can help you pay your deductible.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage: If you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for your damages, uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can help compensate you so you receive the full value of your claim.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that you have good car insurance can give you peace of mind while you’re on the road. It allows you to focus on driving without worrying about potential financial or legal repercussions in case of an accident.
What are the Best Car Insurance Companies?
In our opinion, and based on years of working with clients and insurance providers after serious and unfortunate vehicle accidents, we have had good experience working with the following insurance companies for individuals:
- Cincinnati Insurance
What are the Worst Car Insurance Companies?
These “cut-rate” insurers, as they are admittedly known, are typically at the lower end of the list when it comes to coverage from an insurance company. Sure, they are giving you their best price for their plan. In the event of an accident, though, the plan coverage and whether the insurance company is willing to pay the claim without forcing you to go to trial is important. If you are severely injured, you might not get enough compensation from the insurance company to cover your medical bills. What are the factors based on? These are based on the following factors:
Value: will they give you fair compensation for your claim?
Payment: will they pay your claim through a settlement or will you be forced to go to trial because they do not pay full compensation?
Customer Service: will the process of talking to your insurance rep be aggravating? Getting important questions answered in a timely and professional manner is important after a serious accident or when you need your insurance company’s assistance. That’s not always the case with these companies.
The overall worst insurance companies in terms of the three factors above, in our opinion, include:
- State Farm
- The General
- First Chicago
Overall, good car insurance provides you with a safety net that can mitigate the financial burden and stress associated with accidents. It’s important to carefully assess your needs and choose a policy that offers appropriate coverage for your situation. Our car accident lawyer team at Christie Farrell Lee & Bell is here to help if you’ve been involved in an accident in Indiana.